Our partners & collaborations
The partnerships and collaborations favour complementarity between the medical services of the individual hospitals. This facilitates, for example, patient transfer to the most appropriate hospital when specific care is needed and allows the doctor to treat the patient at the institution where the sick child is hospitalised. The movement of people, information and ideas guarantees diversity and medical experience, resulting in improved overall care for the patient.
The Children's Hospital as a part of the Brussels healthcare landscape
Since the end of 2021, the Children's Hospital, together with the Jules Bordet Institute and the Erasmus Hospital, has formed the Brussels University Hospital (H.U.B), becoming the University Hospital of the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). An initiative of the City of Brussels and the ULB, this major university hospital complex guarantees high quality care accessible to all as well as excellence in research and training.
The Children's Hospital is a member of the IRIS network, a vast public hospital service that brings together five Brussels public hospitals at 11 sites: Brugmann UH, Saint-Pierre UH, Iris Hospitals South, HUDERF and the Jules Bordet Institute. This is the largest integrated network of public and university hospitals in Belgium.
The Children's Hospital is a member of OSIRIS: The Northern Organisation of IRIS. This North Brussels hospital group consists of the Children's Hospital and Brugmann UH.
The Children's Hospital collaborates with the LHUB-ULB, the Brussels University Hospital Laboratory. In bringing together the Erasmus Hospital, Brugmann UH, Saint-Pierre UH, the HUDERF and the Bordet Institute, this is one of the five major university hospital laboratories in Europe.
At the medical level, European and international
The hospital is a member of the mother-child network of the francophonie. This international network of French-speaking university hospitals campaigns for the transfer and creation of knowledge regarding the health of mothers and children.
The Children's Hospital is recognised as a European Network Centre of Expertise on an individual basis for the Haematology and Oncology Department (ERN Paed-Can) or in partnership with other network institutions such as the Endocrinology Clinic (Endo-ERN), the Metabolic Clinic (MetabERN), the Genetics Clinic (ERN ITHACA) as well as with the French-speaking consortium BRACE (Brussels Rare and Complex Epilepsies), itself recognised as a full member of the ERN dedicated to rare and complex epilepsies (EpiCARE).
The associations that support the HUDERF
The Robert Dubois School is a specialised teaching establishment of the City of Brussels that welcomes children and adolescents between the ages of two and a half and twenty-one with instruction at infant, primary and secondary level. The school aims to avoid children getting too behind with their schooling and to ensure they retain the habit of regular study. The school is located just next to the hospital and is accessible to all patients who are also visited by teachers in their unit if they are unable to attend classes. Specific reception is organised at "Les Ados de Robert Dubois" for secondary school pupils with school phobia. The "Maternelle thérapeutique" day care unit for child psychology also welcomes children aged between two and a half and six every day.
Special thanks to the associations and voluntary workers who support the patients, parents and teams at the hospital:
- Ademar (support for HUDERF projects in nephrology and dialysis, support for children with kidney disease and activities to promote autonomy
- Muco Association (support for the Cystic Fibrosis Centre projects)
- Arthur Forever (support for research projects)
- Berrefonds (support for bereavement, suitcase to treasure)
- Doctors Zinzins – Lapsus Lazuli (artists clowns)
- Together Step by Step (support for children with cancer and their family)
- Hospi'conte (books and stories)
- Kick Cancer (support for research projects and advocacy in paediatric oncology)
- Le Coeur de nos Enfants (parents' association linked to Cardiology Department)
- Maisons des Parents (reception centre so that parents can stay in the immediate vicinity of the hospital)
- Messagers du Coeur (creative workshops)
- Grieving Parents (support at the time of bereavement)
- Le Pont des Arts asbl (artists — singer-musician, visual artist, actress, storyteller and dancer — share their art)
- Take a Child by the Hand (transport of sick children)
- Ray of Sunlight (holiday activities)
- Save My Child (support for projects and fundraising for HUDERF Intensive Care and Emergency Departments
- Sparadrap Circus (circus)
- A Note for All (introduction to sounds and music)
- A Time to Love (activities and support for children)