The Paediatric Ophthalmology Department treats the ophthalmological problems of children from birth to the age of 16 and from screening to treatment (glasses, drugs, surgery, etc.).
"Our team is one of the biggest in Belgium. Each of our ophthalmologists possesses specific expertise, enabling us to treat a wide range of eye diseases. From the simplest to the most complex."
The Paediatric Ophthalmology Department offers a variety of consultations:
- Consultations for screening and diagnosis relating to vision problems such as refractive error and strabismus
- Consultations adapted for children with a vision deficiency in cooperation with vision deficiency rehabilitation centres
- Specialised ophthalmo-genetic consultations. In this case the team cooperates with Belgian and international genetic centres
The department is specialised in:
- Surgery for strabismus, lacrimal duct pathologies and abnormalities of the pupil during day hospitalisation
- Cataract and congenital glaucoma surgery
- Treatment of rare eye diseases
- Congenital ocular malformations
- Inflammatory eye complaints such as conjunctivitis and uveitis.
- Screening for retinopathy of prematurity
- Treatment of ophthalmological complaints in children with Down Syndrome
Finally, the department has recognised expertise in hereditary and non-hereditary pathologies of the retina and optic nerve.
Our medical specialists
The department welcomes trainee doctors and medical and orthoptics students as interns.
The department offers treatment for children presenting a strabismus with very close follow-up thanks to the close cooperation with a team of orthoptists and ophthalmologists specialised in strabismus.